Q. Does high CA-125 confirm that I have cancer?

Dr. Raghu
Published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a history of inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor detected at the age of 11 years, which was around 12 years back and had undergone an operation for the same. Currently, my CA-125 in serum is 125.37 U/ml. The ultrasound scan revealed large multiloculated well-defined bilateral adnexal lesions with enhancing solid component. Lesions measured about 10.0 x 9.1x 10.1 cm on the right side and 5 x 4 x 5.2 cm on the left. There was thick enhancing septae noted within the lesion. Bilateral cystic lesions abutting the iliac vessels and the ureters noted. However, there is no direct evidence of any invasion. The right ureter is displaced posteromedially by a right adnexal lesion and left ureter is displaced posteriorly by the left adnexal lesion. The CT scan revealed bilateral multiloculated well-defined adnexal complex cyst with thick enhancing septae likely of an ovarian neoplasm. There was bilateral hydroureteronephrosis, likely due to the pressure effect by the adnexal cysts with no obvious infiltration of the ureteric wall. What shall I do at this moment? Is it an ovarian tumor or a relapse of inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor? As CA-125 is very high, does it confirm that I have a cancer?

Some doctors told me to operate the tumors and if after the operation malignancy is confirmed, and then they would take necessary steps. Should I take any additional precautions or test before the operation? I need your suggestion for a treatment plan and also about open cystectomy or Wertheim's operation. Also I wanted to know, whether my CA-125 will decrease after the removal of ovaries and uterus. I have attached the necessary documents for your reference. Currently, I am taking Megestone and Ferium XT daily.

Dr. Raghu

General Surgery Surgical Oncology
#

Based on your reports, there seem to be ovarian tumors on both sides. The type of tumor, either benign or malignant, can be revealed only after removal. It may be unrelated to your previous tumor. The value of CA-125 though raised does not indicate malignancy. It is marginally elevated and it is highly unlikely that you will have epithelial cancer of the ovaries at this age, for which it is an ideal marker.

A Wertheim's hysterectomy is done for cervix cancer and you would not require it. For your age, if possible fertility preserving surgery is ideal. The best line of management would be to get a CT scan or an MRI to clearly define the type of ovarian tumor as there are suspicions of dermoid and chocolate cysts. After that, a fertility preserving surgery in the form of ovarian cystectomy preserving the ovary can be planned at least on one side. It is very likely that your cysts turn out benign.

Kindly get evaluated and operated with a surgical oncologist as the management should be proper especially if you require a staging procedure in case the cyst is malignant.

For more information consult a surgical oncologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

I had an appointment with two doctors. One of the doctors has given me the date for the operation. I have attached the prescriptions from two different doctors for your reference. Please have a look.

Dr. Raghu

General Surgery Surgical Oncology
#

• I can see that your doctors are gynecologists (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • My suggestion is to meet a surgical oncologist as the option of fertility preserving surgery can be discussed if feasible, especially if they are non-malignant or cancerous. So, kindly search for one at your place.

For further information contact a surgical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

Conquering Cervical Cancer

Article Overview: Cancer cervix (mouth of the womb or uterus) is one of the leading causes of death due to cancer in women. Read on this article to know how to conquer cervical cancer. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Virtually all types of cervical cancers are caused by high risk types of HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) which is usually spread through sexual contact. Hence, in effect the HPV vaccines can prevent 70 percent of cervical cancers before exposure to HPV (i.e, before onset of sexual activity). These...  Read Article

A 20 mm follicle found on day 5 of menses. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female weighing 65 kg and my height is 5'6". A 20 mm follicle found on day five of menstruation, what does it mean? I had cramp since day four till day six. Last month 5.7 mm hemorrhagic cyst was found on left ovary during day three but this month it got disappeared and now 20 mm ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. Are your periods regular? Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) , prolactin, hemoglobin (Hb), total count (TC), differential count (DC) levels and cancer antigen (CA125) are all normal. Ultrasound of pelvis suggests follicular...  Read Full

What is non-FDG avid in a PET scan of a breast cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother had breast cancer 13 years back, and this year again she has been diagnosed with bone only metastasis as per the report. She is currently on Letrozole and Ibrance for the last five months. Initially there was bone pain near pelvic, and so did the ultrasound, in that it came mini...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern regarding the new findings on CT PET Scan of your mother. She is having multiple bony metastases proven radiologically and pathologically. The generalized mesenteric and omental haziness with raised tumor markers Ca 125 / CEA, these finding...  Read Full

Ask a Surgical Oncologist Now