Q. Does high CA-125 confirm that I have cancer?

Answered by Dr. Raghu and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ovarian Cysts or Cervical Cancer? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Does high CA-125 confirm that I have cancer?

I have a history of inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor detected at the age of 11 years, which was around 12 years back and had undergone an operation for the same. Currently, my CA-125 in serum is 125.37 U/ml. The ultrasound scan revealed large multiloculated well-defined bilateral adnexal lesions with enhancing solid component. Lesions measured about 10.0 x 9.1x 10.1 cm on the right side and 5 x 4 x 5.2 cm on the left. There was thick enhancing septae noted within the lesion. Bilateral cystic lesions abutting the iliac vessels and the ureters noted. However, there is no direct evidence of any invasion. The right ureter is displaced posteromedially by a right adnexal lesion and left ureter is displaced posteriorly by the left adnexal lesion. The CT scan revealed bilateral multiloculated well-defined adnexal complex cyst with thick enhancing septae likely of an ovarian neoplasm. There was bilateral hydroureteronephrosis, likely due to the pressure effect by the adnexal cysts with no obvious infiltration of the ureteric wall. What shall I do at this moment? Is it an ovarian tumor or a relapse of inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor? As CA-125 is very high, does it confirm that I have a cancer?

Some doctors told me to operate the tumors and if after the operation malignancy is confirmed, and then they would take necessary steps. Should I take any additional precautions or test before the operation? I need your suggestion for a treatment plan and also about open cystectomy or Wertheim's operation. Also I wanted to know, whether my CA-125 will decrease after the removal of ovaries and uterus. I have attached the necessary documents for your reference. Currently, I am taking Megestone and Ferium XT daily.