How to lose weight gained in the midsection area?

Q. I am gaining weight only around midsection. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Deep Dutta
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 31, 2023

Hi doctor,

I feel tired with fatigue. I have low sexual libido and insomnia. I have gained weight around the midsection, love handles, and belly. I think that I have low testosterone. What to do?



Welcome to

It is important to control your intake of calories. Please mention your height and weight to calculate your appropriate calorie requirement needed for a day. Avoid eating fat and red meat. Take green leafy vegetables and fruits. You need to walk for atleast 10,000 steps a day. You need to do tests to rule out diabetes. You need to do fasting glucose, postprandial blood sugar, Hba1c (hemoglobin A1C), lipid profile, serum testosterone, DHEA-S (dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate), T4 (thyroxine), and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). You need to rule out androgen deficiency. Please mention whether you have a history of smoking or alcohol.

Thank you doctor,

I am 30 years old. I have a weight of 180 lbs and a height of five feet. I drink and smoke rarely. I have reduced body hairs on my body. I do not have hairs on the arms, legs, and face. I have attached my blood report done before six months.



Welcome back to

You seem to be overweight with metabolic syndrome. It is a combination disorder that increases the risk of having diabetes and high blood pressure. Your liver enzymes are raised. You need to do an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out fatty liver disease. You need to check HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and anti-HCV (anti-hepatitis C) antibodies. Your testosterone, free testosterone, thyroid levels, and cortisol levels are normal. There is nothing to be worried about. You need to do exercise and have brisk walking to lose weight. You are putting on weight as you are eating more calories than your body needs. You need to consult a dietician. You need a weight-reducing diet chart. Your low body hair can occur due to hereditary causes. You do not have hypogonadism.

Thank you doctor,

I have an AST of 16 U/L, ALT of 26 IU/L. I had a negative result for HCV antibodies and HBsAg. Please mention the ideal protein content to be taken for a person to gain muscle mass.



Welcome back to

Your hepatic profile is normal. You do not have any viral infections. Your liver enzymes are normal. Your ideal protein intake should be around 0.016 oz/lb per day. Avoid taking extra proteins as it increases the nitrogen load in the kidneys. Take plenty of water daily.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I need a diet chart that includes high-fiber foods. Please help.

Hello doctor,I am suffering from fissure, PCOD, and I need to include high-fiber in my diet ... I need a diet chart for seven days a week which includes high-fiber food ...   Read full

Please suggest a diet chart so that I can study properly and stop gaining weight.

Please help me with some diet charts so that I can study properly and due to improper diet my weight increased alarmingly ... Accordingly, I can suggest a diet chart   Read full

I am overweight with umbilical hernia. How to reduce my weight?

How to reduce my weight ... Hello doctor, I am 33 years old with a weight of 63 kg, and my height is 153 cm ... I am feeling overweight ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.