Q. I am gaining weight only around midsection. What to do?

Dr. Deep Dutta
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 15, 2021

I feel tired with fatigue. I have low sexual libido and insomnia. I have gained weight around the midsection, love handles, and belly. I think that I have low testosterone. What to do?

#

It is important to control your intake of calories. Please mention your height and weight to calculate your appropriate calorie requirement needed for a day. Avoid eating fat and red meat. Take green leafy vegetables and fruits. You need to walk for atleast 10,000 steps a day. You need to do tests to rule out diabetes. You need to do fasting glucose, postprandial blood sugar, Hba1c (hemoglobin A1C), lipid profile, serum testosterone, DHEA-S (dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate), T4 (thyroxine), and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). You need to rule out androgen deficiency. Please mention whether you have a history of smoking or alcohol.

I am 30 years old. I have a weight of 82 kilograms and a height of five feet. I drink and smoke rarely. I have reduced body hairs on my body. I do not have hairs on the arms, legs, and face. I have attached my blood report done before six months.

#

You seem to be overweight with metabolic syndrome. It is a combination disorder that increases the risk of having diabetes and high blood pressure. Your liver enzymes are raised. You need to do an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out fatty liver disease. You need to check HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and anti-HCV (anti-hepatitis C) antibodies. Your testosterone, free testosterone, thyroid levels, and cortisol levels are normal. There is nothing to be worried about. You need to do exercise and have brisk walking to lose weight. You are putting on weight as you are eating more calories than your body needs. You need to consult a dietician. You need a weight-reducing diet chart. Your low body hair can occur due to hereditary causes. You do not have hypogonadism.

I have an AST of 16 U/L, ALT of 26 IU/L. I had a negative result for HCV antibodies and HBsAg. Please mention the ideal protein content to be taken for a person to gain muscle mass.

#

Your hepatic profile is normal. You do not have any viral infections. Your liver enzymes are normal. Your ideal protein intake should be around 1 gm/kg per day. Avoid taking extra proteins as it increases the nitrogen load in the kidneys. Take plenty of water daily.

|