Q. I have PCOS from eight years, and now I am trying to conceive. Please guide me.

Dr. Sathawane Aparna Milchand
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 21, 2021

I have had PCOS on and off for more than eight years now. I have a 7 year old child, and I have been trying to conceive for the past six months with no results. I took Diane-35 for seven months and stopped it half a year ago as we started planning for my second baby. After stopping it, I have had my periods regularly. My last period was over a month ago. I have severe pain in my pelvic region for the past three days. I went for an abdomen and transvaginal scan today, and everything seems to be normal. The uterus size is 5.6 x 4.0 x 5.7 cm, the endometrial thickness is 9 mm, ovaries are 3.2 x 2.2 cm and 3.0 x 2.0 cm. The report says multiple peripheral small follicles with central hyperechoic stroma noted in both ovaries. What does it mean and why am I unable to conceive? I have attached my reports for your consideration.

#

• Your ultrasonography report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows polycystic ovaries and nothing else.
  • In my opinion, you should go for an ovulation induction from the day 2 of your periods, followed by follicle monitoring from day 10. It helps polycystic ovaries patients to conceive.
  • For now, as you have missed your periods, you can take a pregnancy test. If it is negative, wait for your periods and consult a gynecologist near you, for ovulation induction tablets.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have taken the urine tests, but it came back negative. I have also taken the serum beta hCG test, and I am waiting for the results. How safe is ovulation induction and how does it help?

#

• The ovulation induction tablets are absolutely safe. In the case of polycystic ovaries, ovulation does not happen. So, these tablets help with the ovulation. If sexual intercourse happens during ovulation, you can conceive.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|