Q. Do ideal BBT raise during ovulation necessary to conceive?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 years old and from there on I was taking Diane 35 to regulate my periods. I was having three months gap between periods and sometimes was regular before treatment.

Now I am 25 years old, married and trying to conceive. So I had stopped Diane 35 last month. Since then we tried naturally for a few months. But it did not work out. So we started with treatments.

The doctor initially put me on Ovacare myo and other vitamin E tablets using which I got my periods on time. This continued for a month. Next she put me on Ovacare and Endothik and post 15 days, I was put on Duphaston. This too did not help to conceive.

Next, my follicle study was done. I was checked on the 12th day where my follicle was not that matured and ET was just 7. I was called on 15th day which showed my follicle in the left ovary was 19 mm and ET was 10.2 mm. The doctor gave me an HCG trigger injection. I was asked to try in this period. So I and my husband had contact from 14th, 15th, 17th day and also 18th day. I was called on the 18th day which revealed that my follicle had ruptured and it was a fresh one since it has some fluid around it.

So since it is confirmed ovulation, I expected my temperature to rise. I had not checked my BBT before but when I did it on 20th day, it showed a temperature of 36.1 celcius. This is way too less right? With HCG shot and ovulation confirmation, I taught it would rise. Is there some issue here?

I am given Duphaston and Mbryo safe sachets to be taken. Please advise if this cycle too I do not have any chance?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The chance of pregnancy in the ovulatory cycle is around 25-30%. As ovulation was confirmed, you have some chance. Rise in basal body temperature is an unreliable predictor of ovulation, and once you had confirmed ovulation by a more reliable test (ultrasound), there was no need to check BBT. Your body temperature does not give any information regarding the quality of ovulation and there is no need to assign any significance to body temperature in your case.

As I already told, you have around 25-30% chance in each ovulatory cycle and there is no reason to lose hope. Just get your husband's semen analysis done if not already done, as normal semen is equally important for pregnancy to happen.

| 

Yes, that is the next step the doctor has advised too. This gives me some relief.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

| 

Why are dreams about being pregnant so common?

Query: Hello doctor, Why are dreams about being pregnant so common? What might a dream about being pregnant mean? What might it mean if you are not trying or wanting to be pregnant in real life? Or, conversely, if you do want to be pregnant in real life?  Read Full »

Despite ovulation induction, I did not get pregnant. What to do now?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. My height is 5'1" and my weight is 61 kg. I am a bit overweight. I have pcod problem. I got married 2 years back and I cannot get pregnant. I had Clomid and hCG injections twice. Both were failed. But, doctor said that my egg growth is good. I have attached my hormon...  Read Full »

I am suffering from itching all over the body and skin flakes fall during combing. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from itching all over the body wherever there is hair in the body like in private parts hands, leg, thighs, stomach, back and in scalp and hair quickly falls out when I scratch wherever it itches, and skin flakes fall like rain when I comb my hair. Suffering from 12 year...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now