Q. I am 20-years-old with no periods so far and pain during intercourse. Please help.

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

I am a 20-year-old female. I never got my periods and it hurts too much to have sex.

#

From the history that you have posted, I believe that you are suffering from a dry vagina due to some reasons. You should get evaluated because you are 20 years old and it is high time that you should start menstruating. Maybe ovaries are not optimally working and hormones like estrogen is deficient and other glands that should act on local genital areas to lubricate it are not working.

Sometimes dryness may be due to allergy and anti-allergic medications may help in this. It is necessary to involve in enough foreplay before actual penetration. It helps in stimulating your genital glands to provide proper lubrication for penetration.

Normally, the walls of the vagina stay lubricated with a thin layer of clear fluid. The hormone estrogen helps to maintain that fluid and keeps the lining of your vagina healthy, thick, and elastic. A drop in estrogen levels reduces the amount of moisture available. It can happen at any age from a number of different causes.

It may seem like a minor irritation. But the lack of vaginal moisture can have a huge impact on your sex life. Fortunately, several treatments are available to relieve vaginal dryness. You can use KY jelly locally in and around the vagina before attempting intercourse.

|