Q. What can be done for pain in the shin?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

I have pain in my left shin bone when I try to run. It is on the inside of my leg at the lowest point on the tibia, just above the ankle. My ankle does not hurt, just the shin at the specified location. I do not have pain on walking (unless a long way) but when I run I get immediate and continuous pain. Previously, the swelling was worse. And now, the swelling got reduced. I do not think it is shin splint because I have had them before and the pain was completely different. What it is and how do I heal it? I have had this problem for a long time now maybe around a year. Thank you very much.

#

Pain on running or exertion can be due to lack of appropriate strength and integrated stability of gluteal and hip adductor muscles.

It makes the bones challenging to disperse the impact forces generated by the foot striking the ground. This can lead to condition called exertional medial tibial pain syndrome.

Chronic compartment syndrome also gives rise to similar clinical picture including swelling in the leg. The condition is often misdiagnosed as shin splint.

|