Q. Shall I use white petroleum jelly for pain on nose?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

I have changed my location before a few months. I am experiencing pain in my nose, near eyes. It feels like a muscle or bone pain, but not inside the nose. I have white petroleum jelly. Can I use that? How to cure this issue? I have attached a photo of the painful area. It is a little above near the eyes. When I press, it is paining more.

#

I saw the photo and your explanation of the problem (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It looks like some minimal swelling in the skin or elastic tissue of the nose in that region.
  • This is a very sensitive area and also taut. So, a minor stretch due to some swelling can also lead to severe pain.
  • You can use the white petroleum jelly for external use. It might take some time for the pain to reduce.
  • I suggest you Lignocaine gel for external application as it has some anesthetic property and might reduce pain. But, if the pain is very severe, then I suggest you consult a general physician or an ENT doctor (ear, nose and throat specialist) at the earliest.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|