Q. Can swelling in perianal area due to G-string mean herpes?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

A week back, I wore a G-string that was a little snug and I accidentally fell asleep in it. The next day, I noticed that my perineum and anal area were sore so that night I got a mirror and looked and noticed that there was a straight swollen line from my anus to my vagina opening right where the string sits. So I did a sitz bath and applied Neosporin and Destin and the pain stopped. This morning I checked on it and it is still swollen but no more pain unless I poke it with ny nail. Is it herpes?

Do you have a question on Skin Rashes or Herpes?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

MD GENERAL MEDICINE

I have seen your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), looks like perianal area is swollen secondary to explained injury. It will take a little time to heal completely. Kindly follow the following instructions:

1. Lignocaine gel for local application over perianal area before and after defecation.

2. Continue sitz bath for 4 to 6 minutes a day.

3. Tablet Combiflam 400 mg BID for three days.

4. Drink plenty of water.

5. Keep hygiene over perianal area.

So, it does not look like herpes? Because now it looks extremely swollen from me poking it I guess.

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

MD GENERAL MEDICINE

It does not look like anal herpes. Generally herpes present as a particular dermatome area, around anus but it is swelling in only one localised area. Second thing herpes has persistent itching, and burning like sensation, if you had recently unprotected intercourse, might be it can be simple fungal infection. You can use Canesten S ointment for local application. Do not worry, use above medication.

Also Read Answers From: Skin Rashes Herpes Genital Hygiene Personal Hygiene

Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, Post a severe attack of herpes on the left shoulder, left ear (in and out), chest, and back I am now suffering from Bell's palsy on the left side. Symptoms are as follows: Cannot raise left eyebrow. Cannot tighten left nostril. Cannot move lips (left side). Left eye constantly w...  Read Full »
Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest we do not start on steroids now as there is an active herpes infection which can flare up with steroids. Once it is six to eight weeks of Acyclovir therapy, we can start Dexamethasone 4 mg eighth hourly. However, you will have to consult your physician, di...  Read Full »

Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, whic...  Read Full »
Dr. Payas Joshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To understand the condition better I need to know the following things. Where is the pain? Does she have generalized body pain or any joint pain? Please specify. What is the location of a headache, either forehead or back of the head? How does it improve and when is i...  Read Full »

Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?
Query: Hello doctor, I have developed feet neuropathy, primarily the right foot from the past one year. The symptoms went away six months back but returned a month back (burning, tingling, etc). I suffer from high blood pressure and anxiety. The neurologists could not find the cause after all tests. I tes...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is less likely that your symptoms are related to herpes. Herpes infection does not usually lead to such a clinical situation. Besides, a positive test does not always indicate an active infection. The fact that your tests resulted in positive means that you have g...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now