Q. Why am I having pain before and after urination?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
Published on Oct 06, 2019

I have been getting a lot of pain before and after urinating lately. Mostly after. I urinate several times in a very short period. When I am done it starts to really hurt. I was checked last week for a UTI and it came back negative. The specific gravity in report was low. But they considered the report to be normal. It still bothers me. Any idea?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

#

The symptoms are surely suggestive of UTI and bladder hyperreactivity. I would like to advise you that you get an ultrasound of lower abdomen with kidney bladder and pelvis (uterus, ovaries) to rule out any stone lodged in urinary tract. Although your urine routine shows no pus cells but you get a culture done, it will identify the causative organism. Then you should start antimicrobial like Nitrofurantoin or other medicine to which the bacteria is sensitive. I have cranberry juice and plenty of fluids. Please show to a gynecologist, as sometimes a uterine prolapse or growth can press on the bladder and cause condition mimicking UTI.

| 

Other than UTI, what can cause urethral discomfort?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was previously diagnosed with UTI for three to four times in the last two years. Now, I have a frequently occurring problem of itching and burning in my urethra about three to four times in a month. It stays for around 4 to 5 hours and slowly goes off after ...  Read Full »

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

How to overcome pain while urinating?

Query: Hi doctor, I am not sure exactly when I started having a split stream urination problem, but I really worried about it recently. I mean, it never really used to bother me besides the occasional mess and I used to think it was more a result of tight underwear or something. My urine basically splits...  Read Full »