Q. Which is better, an MRI or a CT, to detect a bump on the right side of the head?

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have noticed a bump on the right side of my head ten months back. Sometimes on that small spot, I have a dull ache and sometimes itchiness. I have visited a family doctor a few days back, and it hurt when he touched the spot. Since then, I have had pain in that area every day, it comes and goes after some hours, and I have also experienced itchiness. Pain just on that spot but increased recently, and I do not have any prior injury. What should I do? Should I get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or CT (computed tomography) scan for it?

#

Thank you for the query.

I suggest you undergo an ultrasound of the bump and, if possible, excision with biopsy depending on the findings in the ultrasound. Is the bump soft and tender? If it is reddish and tender, we might give you trial antibiotics.

Thank you for your reply.

No, the bump is hard, and it hurts to touch. My doctor recommended a CT (computed tomography) scan; although he is not a neurologist, I plan to go tomorrow. Do you recommend doing it, or should I get an ultrasound before?

#

The CT scan is fine. But I recommend ultrasound if the lump is outside the brain. You can see a surgeon also.

Thank you for your reply.

So I got a CT scan done, and the report that came with it says that I have a calcified speck on my left side. I have attached the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of it. I would like it if you could take a look at it. I am still worried that it could be something serious. Can you identify what it is? Also, I had a question how can you tell that it is calcified (calcium deposit) by only looking at the x-ray. The bump and headache I was talking about are on the right side while this speck is on the left but the report did not showed anything there.

#

The prominence on the head CT scan looks like an osteoma or a benign outgrowth. If the lump on the right side is not seen, it may be small or soft tissue. You can go for an ultrasound, especially fluid-filled, and you can also see a surgeon.

Thank you for your reply.

I will get an ultrasound, but still, can you tell me how you can identify that it is indeed a calcified speck as the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) said? How can they identify it? I am worried that they might have made some different diagnose. I am sorry, I am just really worried. Also, is it anything severe or cancerous? Please help me out. I am very stressed.

#

The lesion is bright white. In the CT scan machine, there is a measurement called Hounsfield units. It can tell whether it is bone or blood, or fat. If it is osteoma, it is not serious. You can wait for the official reading. Is there an official result?

|