Q. There is a painless bump on the soft palate. What could it be?

Dr. A K Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I feel some tissue or bump on the soft palate. It is soft without pain. I have been having it for many months. The doctors said that it is due to brush injury and will heal, but it did not. What is it?

#

I understand your concern.

• You are having soft swelling on your palate for quite a long time, which is not tender. So, it may be
  1. Ectopic salivary gland.
  2. Palatal cyst.
  • To confirm it, you should do FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from this lump to find out the nature of the swelling and accordingly it may be managed.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I have attached a photo and marked the area in black. It is not a lump, but it is like a flesh projection. Also, soft in nature.

#

• I had seen your picture of the palate (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the soft swelling is on the anterior pillar of tonsil.
  • This is a small eruption and it is a sign of irritation may be traumatic as your doctor is saying or may be because of a chronic inflammatory process going on in the right tonsil.
  • Now, you should go for culture and sensitivity of throat swab if it reported as infection, then possibility of chronic tonsillitis will be considered. On the other hand, if the report comes sterile, then one should consider it as traumatic.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|