Q. There is a painless bump on the soft palate. What could it be?

Dr. A K Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I feel some tissue or bump on the soft palate. It is soft without pain. I have been having it for many months. The doctors said that it is due to brush injury and will heal, but it did not. What is it?

#

I understand your concern.

• You are having soft swelling on your palate for quite a long time, which is not tender. So, it may be
  1. Ectopic salivary gland.
  2. Palatal cyst.
  • To confirm it, you should do FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from this lump to find out the nature of the swelling and accordingly it may be managed.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I have attached a photo and marked the area in black. It is not a lump, but it is like a flesh projection. Also, soft in nature.

#

• I had seen your picture of the palate (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the soft swelling is on the anterior pillar of tonsil.
  • This is a small eruption and it is a sign of irritation may be traumatic as your doctor is saying or may be because of a chronic inflammatory process going on in the right tonsil.
  • Now, you should go for culture and sensitivity of throat swab if it reported as infection, then possibility of chronic tonsillitis will be considered. On the other hand, if the report comes sterile, then one should consider it as traumatic.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Nothing seems to help my prolonged throat irritation. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42 year old male. I had a seizure episode about 15 years ago and skin tuberculosis, for which I was hospitalized and treated. I was not on any kind of medications until a year later. But during that period, I was unable to concentrate on my sales job. I could not speak fluen...  Read Full »

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »

Why do I have flesh-colored bumps in my throat?

Query: Hello doctor,I have these painless slightly raised pinkish flesh colored bumps in my throat. I do not know if it is normal or something. Is there any need to worry? Currently, I am taking Minocycline, Levothyroxine, and Sprintec 28.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»