Q. I have benign palpitations and Holter shows PVC and PAC. What to do?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2019

I am 18 years old. I have benign palpitations from the age of 15. I am getting extremely frustrated and anxious. I went to a cardiologist today and have no peace. All he said was my Holter monitor shows benign PVC, PAC, bigeminy, trigeminy, and my echocardiogram came out fine and he is sending me for a stress test for the heck of it. But I am not worried about this, but I am more worried about my palpitations now because they cluster. It can be two minutes of every heart beat being a palpitation, especially when I lie down and when I an anxious. Can you please let me know if it is normal for them to come in clusters? I am so scared I seriously need your reassurances because my cardiologist just ignored me when I asked. Please help.

I attached a picture from an app, my heart rate is 80 at that time. Please reassure me.

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

You could have uploaded a normal ECG and Holter. Can you tell me what is this app? (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Anyways, palpitation can be benign but we have to find the cause. Do a thyroid function test, serum electrolytes (Na, K, Mg, Ca).

Your problem looks like a panic disorder. I am suggesting a drug for the time of this palpitation and anxiety may be you need a prescription (it is a suggestion). Tablet Clonazepam 0.5 mg (mouth dissolving) keep under the tongue, it will relieve if it is only due to anxiety. (trade names Klonopin, Rivotril, Clonotril 0.5 mg).

Consult a psychiatrist, you will get benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy. Please do those blood tests also and cofirm whether they are normal. Next time in case you consult me upload Holter and ECG. Do regular excercises, pranayama (Indian breathing excercise), meditation. It will not be fatal do not worry.

| 

Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old healthy young man. I do not drink or smoke but I do work a lot. I work for 60 hours actually and just moved out of my house with my family. I got my own new place as well as trying to maintain a relationship with my current girlfriend. I do not really have any health...  Read Full »

What is the role of pacemaker in arrythmia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 63 years old male. I am a known case of atrial fibrillation 20 years. I had a brain hemorrhage 23 years back. I have a paroxysmal type of afib. Recently its frequency has markedly increased. I am taking Sotalol 80 mg and 80 mg. But now Sotalol increase is required which causes br...  Read Full »

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »