Q. What is the root cause of pancreas problem in a 17-year-old?

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I herewith attach the medical reports of my son aged 17 years old who had pancreas problem. He does not have any bad habits. He is taking medicine as per doctors advise. Mild home food is being given. But still now and then he reports mild stomach pain. Kindly clarify the following:

1. What is the root cause of this pancreatic problem?
  2. How long we should give mild food and when can we give him normal food?
  3. Whether the mild stomach pain he reports is normal or any further investigation is needed?
  4. Whether it is completely curable?
  5. What is the home remedy?

We are very much worried since he is very young. When he gets mild stomach pain he gets disturbed. Kindly advice. Currently, he is taking Bronac 1-0-1 and Panlipase 0-1-1.

#

I understand the anxiety you have regarding your son. He has pancreatitis.

Is this the first time he is getting this?

Does he take alcohol?

Did he have any injury to the abdomen?

Have you checked his serum triglycerides and calcium?

Is he on any long-term medications or recently started in any medicine before the attack of pancreatitis?

The cause of the problem is not clear in your son's case. It may be a genetic predisposition for pancreatitis which is the common cause in this age group. Please do the other tests which I have asked. Also, he needs a scan called MRCP (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography).

Answers to your questions:

1. The cause is not clear in your son's case.
  2. You can give him normal diet but less of oily food and fried foods. Give him more protein like eggs and fish.
  3. Please do serum calcium, triglycerides. Also do an MRCP.
  4. If we are able to identify the cause of the problem then we can treat and cure. If no cause is identified then finding a cure may be difficult.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Thank you for your response.

Four years back he was admitted for normal food poison. Sometimes he used to say heat sensation in stomach.

But pancreatic, this is the first time he is getting. He never take alcohol and no bad habits and no injury to the abdomen.

Serum triglycerides not tested. Tested for calcium long back and found fine. No medications so far. He is normal.

We will take serum triglycerides and calcium blood test and MRCP scan. MRCP scan: Is it to be done in empty stomach? Whether it is painful?

What home remedies to be taken? Is it associated with any food allergy?

#

MRCP is not painful, to be done empty stomach. It will help in detecting any structural problem or anomaly causing pancreatitis.

Food allergy does not cause pancreatitis. Please share the CT scan and MRCP images with me. Revert with the scan and blood tests.

|