Q. I ate raw fish and concerned about liver fluke eggs. How to detect it?

Dr. Rajesh Bansari

I recently came to know the risk of eating raw, undercooked river fish, the possibility of liver fluke parasite, which can cause chronic inflammation of the bile duct, and a major risk for bile duct cancer after 30 years (the lifecycle of the liver fluke). I ate a couple of undercooked/raw river fishes and raw crab sashimi five years ago.

The only way to diagnose is through a stool sample test, right? Is there a specific test for liver fluke egg? How many years can elapse before one can detect the presence of an egg in the stool? Is there any other test that can indicate abnormality or the presence of liver fluke?

#

I have read the whole query. Liver flukes pass their eggs in the stool, so stool for ova and parasites is the best test to detect infection. To detect the worms egg belongs, a microscopy examination of eggs has to be done. Otherwise, no specific blood test is available. At times, radiological investigations like ultrasound, CT, and MRI detect eggs of the liver fluke.

For the time period for detection, I would say sooner as better, and more the time passed after infection lesser will the chances for detection. I would recommend to get serial stool tests, at least three for ova and cyst. If everything comes normal, then remain grateful and next time, try not to do such adventures.

|