Q. I get on and off vomit with diarrhea, bloating and abdominal pain. Is this due to my previous infection?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I have on and off vomiting paired with diarrhea, bloating, and midsection pain for the past nine days. I have these same symptoms two years back on my last two abroad trips and had a normal stool culture. I am wondering is it possible that I picked up a bacteria long back that flares up from time to time or am I just prone for getting stomach bugs? During my last abroad trip, I felt painful bloating every day after I ate or drank anything. Please help.

#

Well, it is possible that you may have acquired some infections on your trip, not necessarily the bacteria, but virus, or parasitic infections, which also can cause similar symptoms.

Did you swim there? Did you have a fever or felt ill on the trip? How is your energy now? Do you feel weak or pain in the calf muscles? Do you have a cough or shortness of breath?

The one way is to give you an antibiotic considering it is traveler diarrhea. The other way is to test you with certain stools and blood tests, and then decide which antibiotic or treatment to be given. I prefer the second approach. Because at least we would be sure what we are treating, whether bacteria, viruses, or parasites.

I suggest you get the following blood and stools tests and show me once the report are available. Meanwhile, you can take tablet Onsett (Ondansetron) 8 mg thrice daily half an hour before meals and capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg half an hour before breakfast once daily.

Complete blood count. Stool detail report. Stool for fat globules. Stools for ova and parasites.

Provide information about fever, chest symptoms, and test reports.

| 

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Vomiting and Diarrhea

Article Overview: Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days. Rest and drinking fluids to prevent dehydration are the only treatment that is needed, but it is not always true. ...  Read Article

Is diarrhea in a baby due to viral infection?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 1 year and 10 months old. Two weeks ago, she had severe diarrhea and around her thighs and around her genitals, there was inflammation. The doctor says that because diarrhea is a type of virus and inflammation of the fungus. The doctor prescribed Clotrimazole and burns ointmen...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»