Q. Can I take a tablet Prozac to overcome the effects of tapering the dose of Seroxat?

Dr. Parth Nagda

I am tapering the dosage of tablet Seroxat from 10 mg to 9 mg. But the intensity of my headache is overwhelming. I cannot deal with the pain. I am experiencing sharp pain in the head along with on and off pain in my legs. Could I temporarily take a tablet Prozac?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

Tablet Seroxat has a concise half life and hence tapering it will cause withdrawal symptoms.

I suggest you two alternative options as follows;

1) Take a long-acting SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Fluoxetine (Prozac 20 mg) for three weeks. And after three weeks, start tapering off Seroxat from 10 mg to 5 mg and continue with Prozac 20 mg.

2) You can also take Amitriptyline, Dosulepin, or Nortriptyline 25 mg at night for three weeks. This will also help with the withdrawal symptoms that you are experiencing.

You can also take 1 mg of Lorazepam or 0.25 mg of Clonazepam at night if the above two options are not available.

|