Can you please interpret the transvaginal scan report of my wife?

Q. What does the transvaginal scanning report suggest about chances of conceiving?

Answered by
Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2023

Hello doctor,

I would like to discuss fertility issue of my wife. She is 39 years old and has had PCOD. Her transvaginal ultrasonography of uterus and adnexa shows:

  1. Uterus is bulky in size AP diameter about 4.1 cm and anteverted in position.
  2. Inhomogeneous area is seen in anterior wall of uterus measures 9 X 10 mm.
  3. Rest of myometrial echotexture appears normal.
  4. Endometrial lining is about 12 mm.
  5. Both ovaries are normal in size contain multiple follicles.
  6. No fluid collection is seen in pelvic cavity.
  7. Bulky uterus with fibroid or focal adenomysosis.

Also, the blood test reports are attached with this. I want to know, if there is any issue in terms of fertility and conceiving children that we need to be aware of as we started trying to have children. Kindly help.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern.

It would be better if you would send me detailed history. Detailed scan report also needed, as in report regarding firboids and adenomyosis need to be clearly defined so better request detailed description of these pathologies from the respective sonologist or repeat scan with expertise hands. I had reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). The blood reports are not abnormal but it is better if the periods are normal and have proper ovulation. For conceiving, have sex in the fertile period of the cycle. I would suggest having tablet Folic acid 0.4 mg if the BMI is normal and does not have any chronic health issue. But in case, you ahve any chronic health issue, then it is better to resolve them and take regular treatment and take Folic acid 5 mg. I would also suggest the following:

  1. Have normal BMI by walking daily and exercise.
  2. Have healthy diet with less salt, suger, oil and spice.
  3. The general health of the husband should be better and quit usage of recreational drugs.
  4. It is better to have rescan for description of firboid and adenomyosis. Discuss with gynecologist in person.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will PCOD cause an increase in weight and absence of ovulation after abortion?

Not to mention I am getting terrible acne now and the same when IUD was inserted ... And all other symptoms such as acne, painful intercourse, weight gain are seen in PCOD ...   Read full

What causes severe pain in the lower stomach with vomiting?

.. that some medical issue is also going on. It is better to have a consultation with a specialist. You should have transabdominal and transvaginal scans along with complete blood count, urea, creatinine, electrolytes, liver function tests, thyroid functi   Read full

Do PCOD and increased AMH hormone cause excessive facial hair and scalp hair thinning?

.. gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Your daughter may still have polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD). She has clinical hyperandrogenism (hair loss and facial hair).   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.