Q. Having PCOS, should I opt IVF to get pregnant?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

I am 27 years old. I have PCOS and have been trying to conceive for four months. My gynecologist put me on 500 mg of Metformin thrice a day and 10 day cycle of Medroxyprogesterone at the beginning of each month to force ovulation. The medication is working exactly as it should. I get my period every month and I have lost weight with the Metformin. I went in for a follow up today and my doctor recommended that I sign up for an infertility study that she is doing. It requires hormone shots, extensive testing and in vitro fertilization every month for a period of four months. I have been going to the same gynecologist for many years and I know her pretty well. Let me just say that she has never seemed like she puts much thought into diagnosing and treating me. I had to practically beg her to test me for PCOS even though I have had very irregular periods and other symptoms for years. Now, she jumped straight to IVF treatment. I have heard of women staying on this course of treatment much longer and being able to conceive. In vitro is incredibly expensive. I am just worried that the only reason she recommended this is because she wants another participant in her study. Your advice on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you.

#

I can understand your situation.

Please, do not be so hard on her. I am sure it is not that she is not interested in diagnosing or treating you.

However, you can wait for some more time before straight away jumping for IVF (in vitro fertilization).

• Patients with (polycystic ovarian syndrome) PCOS can conceive spontaneously after proper treatment and sometimes they may need a little help medically. That would be IUI (intrauterine insemination) or ovulation induction method (assisted reproductive techniques) before actually trying for IVF.
  • You are currently just on PCOS management and a lot of possibilities and treatment methods are there prior to going for IVF.

I have given you the information, but participating or not in the trial is totally your decision. All the best.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|