Q. My mother has pain and swelling in her foot. Is this due to diabetes?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My Mother is 55 years old. She has a condition of swollen foot with immense pain, and she is a diabetic patient. The pain in foot appeared suddenly. Now she cannot stand long or walk properly. In the morning, the swelling is less, but by the end of the day. I am taking medication for diabetes. Please advise.

#

There can be few possible cases for such swelling one is it is related to the kidney. When kidney function is impaired, then due to that, swelling occurs. As you mentioned, she has diabetes, which could be due to the kidney's not properly functioning. Another reason is due to muscular injury to the ankle. So I would like to ask does she has a history of falls or injury of the ankle? Is swelling present only in one leg or both? If it is in one leg, then it is more likely muscle injury to the ankle.

She can take,

• Tablet Diclofenac 50 mg once a day after a meal when she has pain.
  • Apply Diclofenac spray or gel on the swelling two to three times a day.

Walk with support. And please answer so we can go for further testing. If it is a due injury, then you need to do an x-ray of the ankle. If not, kidney function test. Later on, you can send me reports, and I will prescribe medicine accordingly.

Please answer.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

No, she does not have a fall or injury. It is present in one (left) foot only. Though we have consulted a local homeopathic doctor who has suggested it is because of nerve.

#

The nerve can lead to pain, but the swelling is hardly seen. Please take the medicine I prescribed and let me know after five days. If anything else, please message me anytime.

|