Q. After hernia surgery, can I lift heavy weight?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Published on Jun 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 29 year old. My doctor said that I have an umbilical hernia.

Either open surgery or laparoscopy, which would be the best? After which surgery, can I lift heavy weights?

I am a sports person and a bodybuilder. Please suggest.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

General Medicine Internal Medicine Nephrology
#

If your cardiovascular status that is heart and lung functions are fine, then you can go for laparoscopic surgery. That is cosmetically better and less invasive.

The scar will be much bigger in open, so chances of scar rupture and dehiscence are higher in open. The possibility of strenuous exercise in the future will be less with open surgery.

However, whenever you go for laparoscopy surgery the consent for open surgery is always taken.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why is my stomach making squeaky noises few years after hernia surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it normal for my stomach to make squeaky sounds a few years after hernia surgery?  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The squeaky sound might be due to two reasons: Most common cause of this is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This has a history of constipation and alternative episodes of diarrhea, with or without pain. If you have these symptoms, then it is IBS. Fibre-rich diet and me...  Read Full

Should I undergo a tubal laparoscopy or would a HSG suffice?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a one-day period during my last menstrual cycle. After 14 days, I had pink spotting for three days. Then it turned to a brown discharge and then a normal bleeding like my menstruation. All this went on for 10 days. Today, the bleeding is very light. I am trying to conceive. My gyn...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, once the bleeding has completely stopped, you can go for the hysterosalpingography test. So, please wait until then. Once the period gets over, immediately on the next day, you can go for the test. However, if you have a doubt, get back to me. Take care. For furt...  Read Full

Even after 4 years of hernia surgery I have trouble near groin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a right inguinal hernia laparoscopic surgery four years back. After about 10 days of surgery, I started walking for about 4 to 5 km. The first two days, I did not feel any trouble. But, on the third day of my walk, I begun to feel trouble in the area of the groin and felt weak to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hernia surgery involves placement of a prolene mesh in the area of weakness, which promotes vigorous fibrosis. So, it is only normal to experience mild discomfort on the side of surgery. If it is not troubling you too much, then it is better to leave it alone, because any...  Read Full