Q. After hernia surgery, can I lift heavy weight?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 29 year old. My doctor said that I have an umbilical hernia.

Either open surgery or laparoscopy, which would be the best? After which surgery, can I lift heavy weights?

I am a sports person and a bodybuilder. Please suggest.

#

If your cardiovascular status that is heart and lung functions are fine, then you can go for laparoscopic surgery. That is cosmetically better and less invasive.

The scar will be much bigger in open, so chances of scar rupture and dehiscence are higher in open. The possibility of strenuous exercise in the future will be less with open surgery.

However, whenever you go for laparoscopy surgery the consent for open surgery is always taken.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|