Q. What is the reason for a loud cracking sound and immediate loss of erection while pushing the penis down?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am an 18-years-old male. I was pleasuring myself, and while I was pleasuring myself, I pushed my penis down, and when I did that, I heard a loud cracking sound and an immediate loss of erection. I have very little to no pain and no swelling. The crack happened at the base of my penis, and now I find it harder to get an erection. I did a little research, and it might be a penile fracture, but I am not sure. I am nervous about going to the hospital as I do not want others to find it out. Kindly help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

The presentation of penile fracture is loud pop sound and immediate loss of erection due to severe bend of an erected penis. There will be swelling of the penis due to bleeding and discoloration of the skin. And there will be no future erection, and this condition should be immediately treated by emergency surgery. But the history you gave is pulling the penis downwards, and you heard, pop sound and immediate loss of erection which is a result of a tear in the suspensory ligament of the penis. There will be an erection, but the penis can not be stabilized in a straight position. This condition will require surgical repair also. I suggest you go to a doctor as soon as possible.

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot get the surgery done right away as I am in quarantine. I have some more queries. How long will the surgery take? How long will it take to recover as I have to take off from work? I can get a partial erection now, but not as before. I have no pain or bruise on my penis. How long can I wait to see a doctor? Will I have any dysfunctions after the surgery or any scarring? Kindly reply.

#

From your description, I feel it is a suspensory ligament tear. Surgery for this is not an emergency and can be done once you are comfortable. Usually, it does not affect the erection. Post-surgical results are good. There are no side effects apart from general things, like wound infection. The surgery takes about two hours, and you can go to work after a week.

|