Q. Can rapid weight loss lead to peripheral neuropathy?

Dr. Aida Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 27, 2021

I am 17 years old and was just diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. In the last five months, I lost 100 pounds from bariatric surgery, and in the third month, my food intake was very low due to esophagitis causing me not to eat. The neuropathy is just in my feet, and it is just burning, no tingling, and no numbness. I wanted to know if continuing my vitamin intake and eating will reverse it or make it better? The neuropathy came about a month after the esophagitis. I am getting blood work done on Friday, but my last blood work (a week ago) looked good, but they did not check for copper or homocysteine levels.

#

I understand your concern and would explain that cooper and homocysteine are really rare causes of neuropathy. The main causes are:

1) Thyroid gland dysfunction.

2) Vitamin B12 deficiency.

3) Vitamin E deficiency.

4) Vitamin B1 deficiency.

5) Diabetes.

6) Vitamin D deficiency.

Have you checked all these blood lab tests?

If all the above tests result normal, I would recommend taking a multivitamin and performing a lot of physical activity.

Alpha-lipoic acid 600 mg twice daily is a good supplement for neuropathy too. We cannot predict how your situation will improve, if no underlying causes are found based on the blood lab tests. I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need. I wish you all the best.

Can rapid weight loss cause peripheral neuropathy?

#

Rapid weight loss cannot cause neuropathy, but malabsorption and nutritional deficiencies due to gastric surgery can lead to neuropathy. Thyroid gland dysfunction can cause neuropathy too. Infections and autoimmune disorders can lead to neuropathy too. I hope you will find this information helpful.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me again. I wish you all the best.

Generally speaking, what percent of peripheral neuropathy patients recover and live a normal life (The ones with no diabetics)?

#

Usually 70% of patients with an underlying cause may have a good recovery and a normal life if the condition is treated properly. I hope you will be a part of this group of happy patients. You are too young, no genetic history of neuropathy and I think you have really good chances of recovery. I wish you all the best.

|