Q. I am getting frequent ankle swelling. Can it be cured?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

I am a 29 year old male. I do not have any medical issues and doing workout regularly. I had frequent ankle swelling of the right ankle with pain for the last two months. It happened around four times in the last two months. I took blood and urine sample tests, and all found to be of value, and no issues noticed except ASO titer positive with a value of 243 (Ul). When I visited my general doctor, she told me to take Acenal-SP, Cefix 200 and Rabinol-D for five days. I had taken the medicines for four days. The swelling and pain reduced. But, suddenly from today morning again the ankle swelling started. I very much worried that I may have to take medicines for the life time. Kindly let me know if it is serious. Will it make me take lifetime medicines? I am very much worried.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

We are here to help you.

• Since all your reports are negative with only raised ASO titers (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I need to the point that ASO titers signify Streptococcal infection that can occur as a result of a simple sore throat. However, that can harm your kidneys.
  • So, I would recommend you the following further investigations to be sure. They are 2D echocardiogram of the heart and 24 hours urinary protein.
  • If there is no issue found in these reports, then there is nothing to worry provided your blood pressure, blood sugar, uric acid, thyroid are within normal limits. Are you taking any medicines for any purpose like high blood pressure or any gym supplements?

Revert with information to a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Thanks for the reply. Urine protein of 24 hours found to be fine and liver and kidney function test is also fine, BP, sugar and uric acid are within limits, and I am not on any medication for any illness. Even complete urine and blood culture are normal. I am not taking any gym supplements currently. But, I was taking it for a month before six months. I will take heart echo shortly. My only problem is ankle swelling. Can this be cured?

#

• ASO levels would get normal by themselves as they are antibody titers and may persist for years without any active disease. So, this could be an idiopathic swelling that is without any reason.
  • It requires treatment only if it is troubling you. Can you send me a photograph of the affected area?

Revert with a photo to a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|