Q. Why do I have pain in my foreskin during erection?

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 27, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 21-year-old male of height 5.7 feet and weight 115 lbs. I have a problem with my foreskin during erection. I have this problem for about a month, and there is pain during erection.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I would have ideally liked to have little more detail regarding the type of problem and its duration.

Considering that you have written there is a pain when it is erect; there are two possible causes of pain in the erect penis that is related to foreskin:

1. Short frenulum.

2. Phimosis.

The short frenulum: is a problem when the tissue attaching the foreskin to the head of the penis is short, so during erection, it gets stretched and causes pain; in most of the cases, this pain subsides after some time, but in few people who has intense regular pain or difficulty in having sexual intercourse, then small surgery has to be done.

For phimosis: it is when you are not able to retract the foreskin back.

Looking at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have shared, it is unlikely phimosis.

The only way to confirm the short frenulum diagnosis is a physical examination by a urologist or surgeon to assess the diagnosis and see if it requires any surgical treatment. As mentioned above, most of the time, this pain of short frenulum get subsided with time, as the erection causes the stretching and make it lose.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can I have sex with phimosis?

Query: Hi doctor,I have phimosis. I am ashamed to have sex with my fiance. Will sex be a problem or uncomfortable in future? Is there any solution other than surgery?  Read Full »

What are the home remedies for tight foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. I have a tight foreskin. Please suggest me the remedies and the types of oil used to roll back the skin.  Read Full »

How to stretch tight penis foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old male. I have problem of tight penis skin. Whenever I pull my penis skin back during erection it will be very hard to do. Then, my penis skin gets stuck behind the penis forehead and it is very painful to retract back. I generally use oil for this problem. Please ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.