Q. Why do I have pain in my foreskin during erection?

Dr. Vaibhav
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 27, 2020

I am a 21-year-old male of height 5.7 feet and weight 115 lbs. I have a problem with my foreskin during erection. I have this problem for about a month, and there is pain during erection.

#

I would have ideally liked to have little more detail regarding the type of problem and its duration.

Considering that you have written there is a pain when it is erect; there are two possible causes of pain in the erect penis that is related to foreskin:

1. Short frenulum.

2. Phimosis.

The short frenulum: is a problem when the tissue attaching the foreskin to the head of the penis is short, so during erection, it gets stretched and causes pain; in most of the cases, this pain subsides after some time, but in few people who has intense regular pain or difficulty in having sexual intercourse, then small surgery has to be done.

For phimosis: it is when you are not able to retract the foreskin back.

Looking at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have shared, it is unlikely phimosis.

The only way to confirm the short frenulum diagnosis is a physical examination by a urologist or surgeon to assess the diagnosis and see if it requires any surgical treatment. As mentioned above, most of the time, this pain of short frenulum get subsided with time, as the erection causes the stretching and make it lose.

| 

Can I have sex with phimosis?

Query: Hi doctor,I have phimosis. I am ashamed to have sex with my fiance. Will sex be a problem or uncomfortable in future? Is there any solution other than surgery?  Read Full »

What are the home remedies for tight foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. I have a tight foreskin. Please suggest me the remedies and the types of oil used to roll back the skin.  Read Full »

How to stretch tight penis foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old male. I have problem of tight penis skin. Whenever I pull my penis skin back during erection it will be very hard to do. Then, my penis skin gets stuck behind the penis forehead and it is very painful to retract back. I generally use oil for this problem. Please ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»