Tight Foreskin

The condition where the skin covering the glans penis (foreskin) becomes tight and cannot be pulled over is called phimosis. The symptoms seen are pain, swelling, and difficulty urinating. It can be congenital or can be caused by infections like balanitis, balanoposthitis, gonorrhea, herpes, syphilis, lichen planus, eczema, and psoriasis.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is circumcision the only option to treat tight foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, So previously, my husband used to masturbate a lot. Now he is facing an issue of the tight foreskin, and now when we do sex, he has tremendous pain in his penis because of the tight foreskin and I want to know what is the cause of tight foreskin and if circumcision is the only option i...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is called phimosis. I would suggest using Hydrocortisone cream 1 %. It is available in any pharmacy. He can apply the cream to the foreskin twice daily and massage it for one to two minutes. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines w...  Read Full »

How do I cure the recurrent redness and tightness in my foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor,I am diabetic and hypertensive. I am under the following medication;1. Tablet Glimepiride 3 mg.2. Tablet Metformin 1 mg twice daily.3. Tablet Telmisartan 40 mg.4. Tablet Ecospirin 75 mg.5. Tablet Sitagliptin.6. Tablet Urimax 0.4 mg. Blood sugar readings are now in control (random blood sug...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I can understand your concern, and I would like to know the following details so that I can guide you better:1. Do you have a burning sensation during urination?2. Do you have urethral discharge and pain?3. Do you have recurrent balanitis?4. Do you practice improper geni...  Read Full »

Why do I feel pain when trying to open the foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, My penis foreskin does not open softly. If I try opening, I feel pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from paraphimosis. This is a condition in which the foreskin gets trapped behind the glans penis (head of the penis) and does not return back to its original position when pulled. This induces pain. You need a surgical correction and release. Otherw...  Read Full »

Why is my foreskin so tight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My foreskin is tight and it is difficult and hurts to pull back my skin off the head when erect but goes back with less effort when not erect. How can I loosen my foreskin at home?  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Home-based treatment methods for tight foreskin (phimosis) are not recommended. Easy treatment is circumcision meaning foreskin is removed. It is a simple and safe procedure done as a day care procedure. It does not require admission also. For more information cons...  Read Full »

Why is it difficult to pull my foreskin back when I am erect after a frenuloplasty?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a frenulum tear due to excess sexual intercourse, and I underwent frenuloplasty to correct my foreskin. On the first two days after the surgery, my foreskin was clear and comfortable. But after two days, it became tight and difficult to retract. I am unable to get an erection....  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Thanks for consulting us.The foreskin is hard to retract due to expansion during erection. The reason for frenuloplasty could have been phimosis (narrowing of the foreskin). It would help if you keep the area dry and clean. It is recommended to clean the area with saline an...  Read Full »

What causes pimples or boils in the head of the penis and difficulty pulling back the foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 21-year-old male. I observe symptoms like small white boils or pimples on the head of the penis and also difficulty in pulling back the foreskin. These symptoms started four days ago. I am not on any medication and have no previous history of the same. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly answer me the following to help you better; 1) Do you feel soreness in the lesion? 2) Is there a pearly papule appearance? 3) Is it an inflammatory lesion? 4) Is there any redness? 5) Do you have swelling of the glans? 6) Excess scratchi...  Read Full »

Will phimosis interfere with penile growth and reduce the stretchability of the foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was around 8-year-old, I had a sharp pain after masturbating and had a little blood from my foreskin. My foreskin was once extremely stretchy and was able to retract extremely easily became so tight that it would not even retract when flaccid. If memory serves correctly, this caus...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The condition you have is phimosis which is tightness of foreskin prevent easy retraction. It is not usually interfering with penile growth. Treatment of phimosis starts with medical treatment by applying hydrocortisone cream and rub it on foreskin twice daily and to ...  Read Full »

Can phimosis be corrected with steroid application?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 years old male. I have been masturbating for the past seven years. I do not have any problem with that. But my penis foreskin is not retractable. It closes the head in both erect and flaccid positions. I see a slighter portion of the penis head, maybe the size of the diameter o...  Read Full »

Dr. Bn Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For how long you have this problem that you cannot retract the foreskin? Based on your complaint, it is most likely that the diagnosis is phimosis. Is there any other problem? Local treatment like the application of steroid ointment could be effective before surg...  Read Full »

Retracted part of my penis is sensitive. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a problem with my penis. When I remove the foreskin of penis, the head portion remains sensitive. It causes swelling if I touch it or rub it with any clothes. Is there any natural remedy?   Read Full »

Dr. C Sharath Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have hypersensitivity of glans penis. Using topical ointments or sprays reduces sensitivity and it has to be used safely on the penis. This helps to reduce the risk of developing premature ejaculation. Using numbing sprays and other products containing anestheti...  Read Full »

Does phimosis need to be treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am just wondering if my penis normal. Is it possible of my frenulum being too tight and causing discomfort when the penis is erect and the foreskin is pulled back? I am attaching an image for your reference. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and gone through the attached image (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Unfortunately, the image is not clear. If possible, please send an image with different angulation and clarity. As per the available image, there is nothing ab...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.