Q. How to come out of eating non-food items?

Dr. Swapan Banerjee
Published on May 08, 2016

I fairly often ingest such things as paper, rubber bands, fingernails, scabs or dead skin, string, grass, small amounts of wood, certain rubbers and plastics. Although I do not have cravings for non-food items or ingest them in large amounts. I do not eat dirt, rocks, metal or tough things. This is obviously not normal for an 18 year old. Am I suffering from pica? Please help.

Dr. Swapan Banerjee

Dietician Fitness Expert Nutritionist
#

I have gone through your disorder.

• Yes, you are suffering from pica, disorder of eating non-food items with no nutritive value.
  • You understand that this is a bad habit and still you chew all these unwanted materials.
  • In near future you would develop some infections inside stomach and intestinal like GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or some more GI disorders due to unhygienic practices.
  • So, try to abstain from these safely otherwise it may also develop severe ulcer and it can even lead to cancer.
  • I also advice to consult your nearest psychologist or counselor who can guide you mentally to control and abstain from this bad habits.

For further information consult a general practitioner --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

How to cope when a sibling is seriously ill?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain of near ones makes you feel helpless. This weakens your strength somehow. Symptoms like lack of sleep, disturbance, and tension occur when you feel stressed for any reason. But you have to be strong for your brother. If you feel low, he will become worse and ...  Read Full

Can an ulcer cause severe stomach pains?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with an ulcer a couple of years ago. I watch what I eat so not to aggravate it, but I woke up early this morning having horrible stomach pains all over the midsection. What could be going on?  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your stomach pain is mainly due to the stomach ulcer. Based on the location of the ulcer in the gastrointestinal tract, it can be classified into two types: One which causes severe pain after having food, which is typical of gastric ulcer. The second is a duoden...  Read Full

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age of 24 year it is unlikely that you have ulcer in the stomach. It could be GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) that is causing all these symptoms, but after long time it may cause ulcer. If you are not responding to PPIs (Proton-Pump Inhibitors) then it co...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now