Q. Is there a chance for me to conceive normally after PID treatment?

Dr. Nadia Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2020

I am completely desperate. After treating yeast infections for years, I made a lab test for whole bacterial microflora in my vagina. The results are awful. I do not have candida at all. The results are:

Gardnerella vaginalis, Prevotella bivia, Porphyromonas spp. 10 6.6

Eubacterium spp. 10 6.0

Atopobium vaginae 10 5.9

Ureaplasma (urealyticum and parvum) 10 5.3.

My doctor prescribed me the following treatment:

Azithromycin (first week, first day 1 g, second and third day 500 mg, the second week the same). For Gardnerella Tinidazole ( two pills BD for 3 days, actually 2g for one day). He told me to take Tinidazole on different days from Azithromycin. My husband also took pills for only one week Azithromycin and Tinidazole. Also, we take probiotics and vitamins. I also have Fluomizin vaginal tablets for 12 days.

My worries are that after three days of Azithromycin, we took Tinidazole but we felt awful after the second day. We could not take the last 1 g because of vomiting, diarrhea, stomach and low back pain. Now I feel better and it is time for the second week of Azithromycin. Can I take the last 1 g of Tinidazole after Azithromycin or just to let go?

I have some pain in the low back but this pain appeared two months ago and now I think I have PID or something really bad. I think I have become infertile without knowing it. This ureaplasma should be in me at least for four to five years. For Gardnerella, I am not sure but I have always had some discharge. So definitely things are old. We want to have a baby and now things are not so good for us. If I succeed in treating these infections can I get pregnant naturally or it is better to find medical help without losing time? I am 32 years old. Doctors say nothing here. Actually my doctor told me if the treatment is successful we can try to conceive naturally. But I think these bacterias have injured my reproductive system because of the long-time untreated problem. I am so sad.

I also had urine and blood tests, everything is normal there. My urine sediment is clear and ESR is normal.

Dr. Nadia Khan

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I would like to add a little information here is that PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) mostly is a subsequent result of STD's (sexually transmitted disease) infection (chlamydia and gonorrhea) which actually travel upward along the reproductive tract and may lead to subfertility. These prolonged infections can also cause subfertility but in very severe cases especially recurrent cases and if remain untreated. As you have started treatment, the infection has been cured so you should stop worrying now and start trying to conceive naturally.

The chances of getting pregnant spontaneously are quite bright. And as you are 32 years now so you can try spontaneously for at least six months to one year before seeking help. But if it is really concerning for you then there is no harm in seeking help earlier.

Secondly, yes you can take Tinidazole after completing Azithromycin course.

| 

How to confirm if I have a pelvic inflammatory disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old female, and I was diagnosed with a pelvic inflammatory disease, five days back. Today my primary doctor called and said my test results were all negative. Does that mean the PID was false? Have I been cleared from STD or STI? I was prescribed Doxycycline and Metronidazo...  Read Full »

What is the cause for yeast infection, gluten and lactose intolerance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30- years-old female. I have yeast infection and intolerance to gluten, lactose nuts, and other few things. I can not eat anything as everything hurts me. If I consume tea, some times I will have diarrhea, the other time I will become tired and have a high heart rate.  Read Full »

How to cure recurrent vaginal yeast infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having recurrent vaginal yeast infections for the last six months. I have taken medications earlier. The gynecologist prescribed Azithral 500 mg in the beginning. After that, the doctor gave me tablet Orni-O. The first time it got cured. When it came back again, she presc...  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now