Q. Why is there recurrent pinworm infection even after two doses of Mebendazole?

Dr. Y Siva Roja
Published on Jan 14, 2020

I am struggling with pinworm infection. I took one dose of Mebendazole (100 mg) and it helped. Two weeks later, I took the recommended second dose and about three days after I started exhibiting symptoms again. It is now a week after taking the second dose, symptoms are not improving.

Dr. Y Siva Roja

#

I have gone through your problem. Reinfection with pinworm is quite frequent. Mebendazole two doses are the standard way of treatment. But in your case, reinfection may have occurred because of remnant eggs.

1) Please change your sheets on the bed and wash them thoroughly.

2) Thoroughly wash the undergarments as they are the major source of remnant eggs of pinworm.

3) Wash your hands properly.

4) Avoid scratching in the anal region which you may be doing because of itching.

5) If there is a school going kid at your home, please do inform the class teacher regarding this as other untreated kids may be another source.

Another major thing to consider is whether you are definitely having pinworm infection or not? In pinworm infection usually, the eggs which are laid in the perinatal region and worms are not commonly released in stools. The presence of eggs can be diagnosed with a simple tape test at your physician's office.

If this is due to any other worm infection, the required dose of Mebendazole is different and what is taken by you will not be sufficient. I suggest you get this clarified because what requires is a simple tape test and a stool examination for other ova or cysts.

| 

My anus is itchy. Do I have anything to worry about?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, my anus started to become itchy. I think it maybe after a bowel movement. I have been eating more nuts than usual. It does not hurt, but gives me the urge to itch. Is this normal? Never had this problem before, not that I remember. Can I use this cream (external link removed)...  Read Full »

Is chronic ileitis a curable one?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from IBS since the last year. I am getting diarrhea whenever I eat outside food. Recently, I have been detected with chronic ileitis with activity after colonoscopy. I am ready to send the reports for kind perusal of gastroenterologist. Is it curable? I am now o...  Read Full »

Since I started taking ayurveda medicine, my stools are dark colored. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Due to work stress and junk stuff, I started suffering from irregular periods, indigestion, hair fall and acne for the last six to seven months. So, I went up for some ayurveda treatment. I started taking the following medicines prescribed by an ayurveda practitioner. A combination of Ash...  Read Full »