Q. I have pinworms and took pinworm medicine. Will they take a while to go away?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Nov 14, 2019

I am a 31-year-old female. I think I have pinworms. My butt (perineal and anus area) kept vibrating like a cellphone, about once every two seconds, all day. I started taking probiotics and now it is not as constant, but happens many times a day still. I researched it, and some people say it could be worms. I took Reese's Pinworm medicine and there were a few small half to one-inch white worms. My anus itches every now and then. Two days in a row it was very itchy. But it is not extra itchy at night, which is supposed to be the main symptom. I do feel them especially at night and it disgusts me.

Do you think the cellphone-like vibrating is because of the worms? I am very disgusted, upset, and terrified. I think I got it from eating kale and spinach that I did not wash. I do work in a school, too. I heard apple cider vinegar is supposed to create an uninviting atmosphere for them. Does that mean if I drink it they will start coming out of me in various places, and alive or will I just poop them out?

And garlic and carrots, would I just poop them out dead after eating these? I want to take lots of things to be rid of them, but do not want to see anything come out except my anus, and must be dead. I took the medicine only for four days. Will they take a while to go away?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern. I will advise not to use the apple cider vinegar, but garlic and carrots can be taken, and they will help in further elimination of the pinworms. It will come out only through your anus, and not through anywhere else. You have taken the pinworm solution, so that complete elimination may take around a week. Since there was almost immediate evacuation the next day, it is a good sign and it will keep coming out. I will also advise you to take Mebendazole 150 mg separately, and that will also help in the treatment. It can be taken as a single dose at bedtime.

This excessive itching could be due to the concentration of the organisms in the tract and it will slowly get better. You have already taken medicine and a course of Mebendazole will further help in the treatment.

Why has my 11 month old baby not put on weight from the last three months?

Query: Hi doctor, My 11 month old baby has not put on any weight. Her weight is 6.5 kg now. She has been in the same weight with no increase from the past 3 months. She does not eat any other solid or semi-solid food except breast milk. Please advice.  Read Full »

As I am concerned about raccoon roundworm exposure, can I take Albenza 10 days course?

Query: Hello doctor,I am concerned about a possible raccoon roundworm exposure. I have read that I can take a prophylactic 10-day course of Albenza to keep any eggs from entering my CNS. I might have type 2 diabetes for a while and have put off bloodwork to find out. I am a glaucoma suspect based on the la...  Read Full »

Is chronic ileitis a curable one?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from IBS since the last year. I am getting diarrhea whenever I eat outside food. Recently, I have been detected with chronic ileitis with activity after colonoscopy. I am ready to send the reports for kind perusal of gastroenterologist. Is it curable? I am now o...  Read Full »