Q. Post plateletpheresis,my hand is turning bluish black. Please help me.

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Post plateletpheresis, my hand is turning bluish black day by day. It is spreading wider and a slight pain occurs in such areas. I have attached pictures of the same. Is this a safe sign? Please help me.

#

Based on your query and image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• It appears to be previous subcutaneous bleeding.
  • After donation, the vein and surrounding skin will require time to heal.
  • The needle inserted for the procedure is a large gauge needle and surrounding tissue damage will be more. 
  • Pain is due to needle insertion induced tissue damage.
  • Immediate activity will cause internal bleeding, initially mild red, which over time changes to bluish black and would take at least 2 weeks to return to normal color.
  • The pain will reduce within 2-3 days.
  • As it is only at the site of insertion, you need not worry.
  • Rest is necessary for the arms. Avoid lifting anything heavy for another 2-3 days.
  • If you find similar spots anywhere else in body, then it needs attention.
  • Do not apply anything on the discolored area.

Revert back to a hematologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Hello doctor, thanks a lot.

Besides the discoloration, I am having a little difficulty in stretching the hand or folding completely near the spot where needle was inserted. Will this also be healed or is there anything to worry about that?

#

• Yes, you will be able to fold normally again. Tissue is damaged around the needle insertion and hence rest is necessary for your arms. 
  • Take rest and avoid lifting anything heavy with your hands.

Take care.

Consult a hematolgist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|