Q. From the reports, kindly suggest if my uterus and reproductive organs are still fine.

Dr. Deepti Katarya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I had a transvaginal ultrasound lately to see if something is wrong with me due to my delayed or irregular menstruation period. The ultrasound yielded the following diagnosis:

Intact endometrium.

Polycystic ovaries.

Myoma nodule.

What do these findings mean?

Will these have any effect on my chances of becoming pregnant? Are my uterus and reproductive organs still fine?

#

Well, your ultrasound is suggestive of

1. Myoma nodule but is very small in size. No treatment is required until it increases in size to up to 3 cm or more. For this, just a follow-up scan is required. Moreover, these myomas are usually associated with heavy menstrual bleeding, which mainly occurs as a result of the increasing size of the myoma, which is not your case at present.

2. Intact endometrium or your endometrium is thickened, which is probably due to irregular menses or sometimes the absence of menses, as you told.

3. Polycystic ovaries, which, if untreated, can result in fertility issues. So this needs to get treated.

For this, the first baseline management is lifestyle modification, including increased physical activity, weight control, and removing all kinds of stress. If these factors are altered, a hormonal disturbance occurs that leads to multiple cysts in the ovaries.

Along with this, you need to get your complete blood workup, including your hormonal evaluation, so that appropriate management is started to combat these multiple cysts.

Most of the cases of PCOS are usually resolved with hormonal pills only and a regular follow-up ultrasound.

Hence you need to meet some gynecologists personally for the same.

Thank you for your response.

But apart from what you said, are my reproductive organs fine? Meaning, are there no problems? I understand what PCOS means but based on the ultrasound, are there anything else I should be worried about in terms of getting pregnant?

#

Yes, the organs are fine. Such a small myoma nodule is not going to affect your fertility, but yes, the polycystic ovaries will, for which you need to get your hormonal assessment done. It is just the cyst in the ovaries which is of concern. Rest all is normal. Thickened endometrium is normal if you are missing your periods for a month or so as it normally increases for every normal female before menses and gets shed up with the blood during menses. In your case, no menses, no shedding, and hence thickened endometrium. The endometrium is found to be thickened in the premenstrual phase normally. So assuming you got your ultrasound done in the premenstrual phase (you did not mention the last date of your period) or you had missed your last period, then it is normal.

Please get yourself evaluated for PCOS.

|