Q. My abdominal scan shows I have polycystic ovaries, but I believe I am pregnant. Please clear my confusion.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I had irregular periods before marriage. After three months of marriage, my menstrual cycle was regular. My last period was three months before. I felt I was pregnant and checked with the pregnancy test kit. It was negative. With a doctor consultation, I took an abdominal scan it shows I have bilateral polycystic ovaries. So the doctor prescribed a medicine for my period to come. But I firmly believed that I was pregnant at that time. So I did not take that medicine. I do not have symptoms either. After two months of absence of period now, I am confused that I am pregnant or not. Whether a blood test can give a clear idea? Please clear my confusion and advice me on what step should I take next?

#

Do not worry. The most accurate and confirmatory test for pregnancy is the scan that your doctor has done. If the pregnancy does not show up in the scan, then there is no pregnancy. But if you are still not sure, you can either send me the scan report, and I will clarify your report to you or get another scan done. There can be other causes for your absence of period too. So kindly revert for further clarification. Regards.

Thanks for the reply.

From which week will the baby be visible in the scan? I took this scan two months ago.

#

I went through your USG (ultrasonography) reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Pregnancy can be seen in the scan by the fifth week of pregnancy. Your scan shows that you have bilateral polycystic ovaries, which is the cause of your missed and irregular period. There is no sign of your pregnancy. All your scan picture also shows multiple cysts in your ovaries, and your uterus is empty. Also, the endometrial lining is 4 mm. Thin endometrium with polycystic ovaries are causing your missed period. So it would be good for you to start taking the medicines that your doctor has given you. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please explain in detail about the thin endometrium?

#

In every menstrual cycle, the endometrium, the lining of the uterus, becomes thick. It is shed as menstrual blood in your period (this makes it thin again, and the cycle continues). This cycle is dependent on two hormones, estrogen, and progesterone. This estrogen and progesterone are also responsible for the ovaries to produce the ovum. So imbalance in both of these hormones causes irregular periods and missed periods. This requires treatment as later it will affect your fertility. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

How long does this treatment take to regulate my menstrual cycle? Please explain.

#

The treatment to induce your period will take nearly ten days. But treating PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) will take at least four to six months with medications and lifestyle changes. After that, a physical appointment with either me or any other doctor can decide your treatment with a diet and exercise regimen. Thanks.

|