Q. After no periods for nine months, I am bleeding for more than five weeks. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

I am 33 years old. I had bleeding for five weeks and two days and so I did a pelvic exam. I do not know the reason for the bleeding and everything was in the average size. I did not get periods of nine months. I usually have periods only for two to three times per year. Can I have PCOS? What to do?

#

You cannot see polycystic changes on ultrasound as only fifty percent of people show changes due to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). If you have any of these changes such as excess acne, unwanted facial or body hair, or severe hair fall along with irregular periods indicate PCOS. There are some signs that indicate an increase in the level of androgens (male hormones) in the body. Delayed menstrual cycles can indicate a hormonal issue and it needs to be evaluated soon.

Please mention whether you checked for pregnancy and it is important to rule out premature menopause. Please mention whether you have frequent headaches or any visual disturbance, excess sleep or sleeplessness, fatigue or lethargy, heat or cold intolerance, and frequent palpitations. Please mention your height and weight. Reduce your weight if you are overweight or if you have gained weight recently. Try to do exercise regularly and eat healthy food.

Women should have a minimum of four periods per year. This is necessary because the uterine lining sheds off during menstruation. Kindly consult your gynecologist if your periods get delayed for more than two months. The absence of periods can lead to a risk of developing endometrial cancer in the future after a few years and so please avoid waiting for a long time to get periods spontaneously.

|