Q. After no periods for nine months, I am bleeding for more than five weeks. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

I am 33 years old. I had bleeding for five weeks and two days and so I did a pelvic exam. I do not know the reason for the bleeding and everything was in the average size. I did not get periods of nine months. I usually have periods only for two to three times per year. Can I have PCOS? What to do?

#

You cannot see polycystic changes on ultrasound as only fifty percent of people show changes due to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). If you have any of these changes such as excess acne, unwanted facial or body hair, or severe hair fall along with irregular periods indicate PCOS. There are some signs that indicate an increase in the level of androgens (male hormones) in the body. Delayed menstrual cycles can indicate a hormonal issue and it needs to be evaluated soon.

Please mention whether you checked for pregnancy and it is important to rule out premature menopause. Please mention whether you have frequent headaches or any visual disturbance, excess sleep or sleeplessness, fatigue or lethargy, heat or cold intolerance, and frequent palpitations. Please mention your height and weight. Reduce your weight if you are overweight or if you have gained weight recently. Try to do exercise regularly and eat healthy food.

Women should have a minimum of four periods per year. This is necessary because the uterine lining sheds off during menstruation. Kindly consult your gynecologist if your periods get delayed for more than two months. The absence of periods can lead to a risk of developing endometrial cancer in the future after a few years and so please avoid waiting for a long time to get periods spontaneously.

| 

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have irregular periods with pain in a 52-year-old female?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is facing pain at periodical time since 6 months and period facing two times in a month and it remains for 4 to 6 days. Although she never faced this situation before. My mother's age is 52 years now. What should she do now. Already visited two gynecologist and they advised ...  Read Full »

Does ectopic pregnancy cause heavy bleeding, spotting, and abdominal pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old. I decided to contact you because I do not know what to do. I had sex with my husband, and then we found out that he had a chlamydia infection. Since then, I am feeling sick all the time. My stomach was hurting a lot, and I had problems with passing urine, and it sta...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»