Q. I have increased RBC along with decreased MCV and MCH. What could be the reason?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

If my complete blood count has high RBC value and low MCV and MCH values, what is the possible diagnosis for me?

Hematology Pathology
#

• High RBC count is called polycythemia. If it is persistently high, then the cause should be evaluated. Respiratory causes like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and cardiac causes can lead to secondary polycythemia. Primary polycythemia is a myeloproliferative neoplasm due to JAK2 (Janus kinase 2) mutation. PCR (polymerase chain reaction) needs to be done if suspected.
  • Low MCV (mean corpuscular volume) can be due to anemia for which, peripheral blood smear examination, serum ferritin, and TIBC (total iron binding capacity) reports are required for further work up.

Hope this will help you. Take care.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

Mantoux test is positive. Am I suffering from tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pulmonary tuberculosis in my teen age. After a full course of ATT, I was recovered and no findings on sputum and x-ray. Now, I am 30 years old. I have left lower abdomen pain since two to three years. But, it is not severe. The pain is intermittent and often relieved by passing stoo...  Read Full »

While on PEP, is HIV RNA PCR test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 28 year old male and had unprotected anal-vaginal intercourse with a sex worker, me being the active partner. I was put on PEP immediately within 11 hours post exposure and the first dose of PEP was the tablet TLE (Tenofovir/Lamuvidine/Efavirenz), given to me on the morning of 10th....  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now