Q. I have increased RBC along with decreased MCV and MCH. What could be the reason?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

If my complete blood count has high RBC value and low MCV and MCH values, what is the possible diagnosis for me?

#

• High RBC count is called polycythemia. If it is persistently high, then the cause should be evaluated. Respiratory causes like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and cardiac causes can lead to secondary polycythemia. Primary polycythemia is a myeloproliferative neoplasm due to JAK2 (Janus kinase 2) mutation. PCR (polymerase chain reaction) needs to be done if suspected.
  • Low MCV (mean corpuscular volume) can be due to anemia for which, peripheral blood smear examination, serum ferritin, and TIBC (total iron binding capacity) reports are required for further work up.

Hope this will help you. Take care.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|