Q. I get cracks or pops while squeezing my shoulder. Is it due to muscle weakness?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Chawla and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Popping Sound or Synovial Joint? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

When I squeeze my shoulder blades together, my spine always cracks or pops (like cracking your knuckles). I do this maybe 20 times a day. I think it is becoming a habit. It helps to loosen it up. What causes this? Do I have muscle weakness? It has been an ongoing pain for three years and it is getting worse. It is very easy to pop and it is addicting.