Q. l got a sore hard lump after the removal of wisdom tooth. Is it normal?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Aug 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I just got one side of my wisdom teeth removed both upper and lower six days ago, and I have another one scheduled after two days for the left side. The upper is 100 % fine, which they pulled. The lower they pulled the tooth without removing the root because it was too close to the nerve. I do have some stitching in this area currently on the lower cheek. Noticed a hard lump about 1 inch between my lower jawline and cheek area. Is this normal because of swelling or something else. Currently taking Amoxicillin 500 mg and Ibuprofen 600 mg. Please let me know what this hard lump is, also generally on the lower side where this lump is, remains sore.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

The lump is mostly a hard swelling which forms postsurgical removal of the wisdom tooth or maybe even by swollen lymph nodes due to infection. It takes a week or two for the swelling to subside. Sometimes, if the root is still inside, the infection may be remaining there causing swelling. Get an X-ray done to find out the exact problem and stronger antibiotics like Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) along with a painkiller for a week.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why is there severe pain with bad taste after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. I got five teeth extracted, three of them being impacted wisdom teeth, before a week. My jaw is killing me. I have this nasty taste in my mouth. My holes look fine with blood clot present. What could be wrong? I cannot keep taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol, it is making...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »