Q. My postprandial sugar value is less than fasting level. Why?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Apr 28, 2019

I am 43 year old. My weight is 83 kg, and I do not have blood pressure. My fasting sugar is 102 and post prandial is 87. Why is it so? It is happening for the last three years. I am not able to reduce weight inspite of all exercises, and I eat just regular home meals with calorie consciousness. I am currently on 10 mg statin alternate days for cholesterol. Kindly help.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

There are a few reasons.

1. Pre-diabetes can have such results which means you are more prone to get diabetes. Increased PPBS (postprandial blood sugar) means your pancreas is working very hard to reduce your sugar. It is overworking where it will deplanes beta cells in pancreas soon (beta cells present in the pancreas secrete insulin to maintain blood sugar).

2. Wrong blood report, take the report in a NABL (national accreditation board for testing and calibration laboratories) lab. Regular exercise and diet will help you. Meet a nutritionist and get a diet chart. Get a personal fitness trainer.

If these are not working to reduce your weight, then we can think of blood investigation and medical treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have further doubts, I would be happy to help you.

Is fasting blood sugar 131 considered diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?  Read Full »

What is the prognosis of CKD?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend is 35 years old. She is obese, exercises regularly and tries to watch her diet. In spite of these, she is prediabetic. Her fasting blood glucose is typically around 105 mg/dL. Her A1C is normally in the range of 5.7% to 6%. She takes Metformin to manage the prediabetes. Her...  Read Full »

Why are there itching and burning sensation on my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having itching and burning problem on my penis. I cannot lift my foreskin upward. It is painful to upward the foreskin. I think I have acquired a fungal infection. My wife was under treatment of heavy menstruation periods for her menopause phase. She had passed through heavy bloo...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now