Q. What does spotting after unprotected sex during ovulation mean?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I took the NuvaRing out 22 days ago and had my periods 21 days ago for four days. I used the Clearblue ovulation kit to check my ovulation, and it showed that I was ovulating. I also used at-home ovulation testing dipsticks yesterday, and it showed a rise in my LH.

We had unprotected sex yesterday evening, and this morning, I could notice light spotting. What does this mean?

Thanks.

#

I can understand your concern.

The light spotting or bleeding is called ovulation bleeding.

The fluctuations in LH (luteinizing hormone), as seen in the LH at-home test kit, cause a fall in estrogen levels. Ovulation occurs after this fall in estrogen, and sometimes the fall in estrogen is severe enough to cause breakthrough bleeding or spotting. This is a normal phenomenon, and it does not affect ovulation. This will not affect your chances of getting pregnant.

|