Q. I am on DHEA and had spotting on cd19 with negative LH surge. Is it due to ovulation or DHEA?

I am 41 years old and trying to conceive for 13 months. My AMH is 4.3 and FSH is 8.2. Thyroid and uterus are all normal. I was put on IVF short protocol before six months and managed to get only one egg and IUI failed. I fell pregnant naturally after three months but had a miscarriage at 6.5 weeks. Period came normally after 28 days of D and C.

I then started DHEA on the next cd1 and continued with Cd10 and pregnacare. On cd10 I started Inositol and folate supplement. I have been testing for LH surge since this cd7 and no positive yet. I have on and off right side dull ache similar to ovulation time. I am now cd19 with no surge but spotted yesterday and now have some red bleeding. I am confused if this is my period or ovulatory connected and or related to DHEA. I know I should have tested my DHEA level prior. I will keep testing for surge but I suspect this is a very early period. I am taking supplements to improve my egg quality prior to IVF next year. Please advise.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If there has been no LH (luteinizing hormone) surge positivity in the kit and you have spotted, it simply means that this is irregular shedding where the endometrium has grown till mid-cycle and is unsupported in the absence of progesterone which is released post ovulation by corpus luteum. So ovulation is pending naturally and this is endometrium breaking and bleeding in the absence of progesterone which marks the start of the secretory phase of menstrual cycle.

| 

I still have the right side dull ache and have more than spotting but it is not like a proper period. Can I still ovulate or is it too late this cycle? Why has this irregular bleeding occurred? The ache, blood and date make me suspect a rupture of a follicle. Is this possible? I had this pain for more than a few days. Is this just an early period? Is it worth getting an internal scan? I was concerned whether DHEA had impacted me in this way. Please advise.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As you are on your cd19 with no LH surge, it is likely that you may not have ovulated yet. However, the confirmation can be achieved only by a transvaginal ultrasound which if delineates a collapsed follicle then it shall confirm a rupture and release of an ovum with some fluid in the pouch of Douglas on ultrasound.

You have to understand that menses are always a progesterone withdrawal response in the second phase of the cycle and hence in the absence of ovulation (without LH surge) is not termed as menses. The bleed in the shedding of the endometrium are mostly darkish brown in color and not actually bright red as in menstrual flow.

Ultrasound shall also tell you about the endometrial thickness, which if is more than 8mm, and the presence of blood in utero indicates proliferative endometrium which has not been stabilized by progesterone yet (in the absence of ovulation as corpus luteum secretes progesterone after follicle rupture). So in short, you can continue testing for LH surge for three more days and if still no surge and the bleeding increases, then you can consider this as a failed cycle.

| 

There is white vaginal discharge with mild spotting. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My girlfriend had her periods 16 days back but two days back she had a white spotting and today she had blood coming out of her vagina for a second but stopped. Please tell me what does this mean.  Read Full »

There is brown spotting a week before periods. Is it a sign of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I took an I-pill after 48 hours of intercourse. Now I am experiencing brown spotting a week before my periods. Is it a sign of pregnancy?  Read Full »

My report says that my plasma levels are raised in comparision to LH. What does it mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a fertility blood test and scan. All came out fine except it said I had slightly raised plasma levels in comparison to LH. Does this mean I have problems, and what does it mean?  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now