Q. How does Metformin help in conception?

Recently, my wife had a fasting sugar level test. The insulin (fasting serum plasma chemiluminescence) was shown as 9.3 mcu/mL. We had recently consulted a gynecologist who said that the result is very near to borderline case and prescribed Metformin 500 mg tablets. As per the diagnostic laboratory, the reference range is between 2.6 to 24.9. Why did the gynecologist prescribe the medicine when as per the laboratory the result is within the reference range? The gynecologist is a very well reputed and renowned doctor in my city.

Dr.Salah Saad Shoman
MASTER DEGREE IN INTERNAL MEDICINE., BACHELOR DEGREE IN MEDICINE AND SURGERY
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• The latest recommendations of the American Diabetic Association include prescribing Metformin to prediabetic patients, those who are at high risk of developing diabetes especially if under 60 years of age.
  • Both, Metformin and lifestyle modifications as exercising and sticking to healthy diet have been found to be effective in slowing the progression of prediabetic to type 2 diabetes. So, I agree with her doctor.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for the answer. I have a follow up question. How does Metformin help in the process of conception? Also, does Metformin have any side effect that we need to be worried about?

Dr.Salah Saad Shoman
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• Elevated blood sugar may render the endometrial tissue, which is not suitable for implantation of the early embryo. Metformin increases the chance of conception by preventing the effect of elevated or borderline blood sugar level on the endometrial tissues.
  • Metformin is mostly a well tolerated drug, but side effects may include gastrointestinal discomfort and muscle pain.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Also Read Answers From

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.