Q. My pregnancy test is positive, but no sac seen in ultrasound. Why?

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal
Published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

I had my last periods 51 days back. 13 days back my home pregnancy test was positive. But, no sac seen in ultrasound. When we checked at home 10 days before, again it showed positive. Sac was not seen today too. My hCG report is 188.19 mlU/mL. Please advise what to do.

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As per your history, it appears that you are in 5 weeks of pregnancy.

At this time the gestational sac should be there. But, do not worry as your beta-hCG is showing pregnancy levels.

You should wait for one week and get the ultrasound repeated preferably a transvaginal one. That will clarify the situation.

• For the time being, you take good Progesterone support and avoid intercourse and exertion.
  • I think by next week the gestational sac should develop. I hope in your report of ultrasound the adnexa were clear.

Ultrasound transvaginal after one week.

Progesterone support .

Revert back after a week with the repeat tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Why did the ultrasound scan at the eighth week show 5.5 weeks baby with no heartbeat?

Query: Hello doctor, The first ultrasound scan at six weeks showed a baby with heartbeats. But, after 15 days, it shows 5.5 weeks baby with no heartbeat. The doctor told me to take MTP pills. After taking these pills, I had heavy bleeding for six days, and from the seventh day, I started expelling black bl...  Read Full »

I took two pregnancy tests. One was positive and the other negative. Can you help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I amhyperthyroidand I havepolycystic ovaries. I had my period for just one day last month. It was very light. I, however, took two pregnancy tests two days ago. The first one read positive and the second, which was taken a few hours after read negative. Could you pleas...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article