Q. Can change in stool consistency affect pregnancy?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2019

I am 26 years old and now 36 weeks pregnant. I just noticed my stool appeared as a mixture of white and brown long particles. I never had white poop in such lengths. My scan reports were normal a month ago. Is there any problem to worry? Is there any threat to the baby? Should I visit the doctor urgently? Please help.

#

Passage of white or brown particles in stool does not harm baby and there is no need to be alarmed. You can visit a physician or gastroenterologist for a physical evaluation, to confirm the nature of the problem and take treatment if required. If there are no other stomach symptoms, that visit too is not an emergency.

If you have white string in stools along with other symptoms like loose stools or vomiting and pain in abdomen/fever, you need to visit a doctor as early as possible.

I have no other problems like pain, vomiting or itching. I am a teacher, and I stand for long hours for at least three to four hours a day and have other work too. I have some doubts. Is there any problem in doing so at 32 weeks? My due is next month, around 45 days are there yet. Shall I continue my job for the next 20 days?

There is no drastic change in weight. In my seventh month, I was just 59 kg. I do not know how much I weigh now. Neither do I have a very big belly nor did I become fat. Is this a big issue? I like to eat milky mist yogurt and Nutella? Is it fine to eat this during pregnancy?

#

You can continue your regular work (including teaching), as long as you do not feel exhausted. Just try to avoid prolonged standing/sitting at one place. Keep moving in between sessions if possible.

You can continue to take food of your choice including yogurt and there is no harm in it. If labor pains have not started, you can safely continue your work 20 more days. In fact, it increases your chance of delivering normally.

Regarding weight gain, you have to consult your obstetrician, as long as it does not harm baby it will be fine. But one thing is sure, there is no need to become fat for a healthy pregnancy.

|