Q. If I get pregnant, which abortion method can I go with, as I am already a mother of two?

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip

I am almost 35 years old and a mother of two kids. I had unprotected sex, and I did not even take any emergency pill. Now I am afraid I may get pregnant. I got my last period in the last week of last month. I am waiting for my period to come, but I would like to go for an abortion if I do not get it. I am looking for your advice on it. If needed, shall I go for the abortion pill or surgical abortion? I am quite nervous and stressed about it. Which one will cause less pain and lesser side effects? Also, I am planning to go for intrauterine system contraception later on. A doctor suggested that most women go for it instead of an intrauterine device. I am looking for an opinion on this. Will it be ok?

Please help, doctor.

#

I will list down the advantages and disadvantages of both for you. In medical abortion, you will take pills over three days and bleed for at least three days. After that, follow-up sonography will be done. In case it is incomplete, you might need a surgical abortion. The advantage is there is no need for anesthesia, and it does not require hospital admission. The disadvantage is the risk of an incomplete procedure.

Surgical abortion can be done after a particular gestational age under anesthesia. The advantage of this procedure is the majority of the time, it is complete, and a no-repeat procedure is required. The disadvantage of this procedure is that there is a need for anesthesia, including the risk of surgery and hospital admission.

You can choose the right method for you based on these points. The intrauterine system (IUS) is a good form of contraception that does not cause the heavy bleeding that some women experience with an intrauterine device (IUD).

Thanks for your response.

About the abortion procedure, is it entirely my choice, or is my doctor supposed to decide which one to proceed with? Also, I have got a small pea-sized ulcer on the private part (under the vulva). I noticed it yesterday only. It is a little painful with no bleeding and is causing discomfort.

What should I do, doctor?

#

It is a combined decision based on your complete history and examination findings. Since I have not examined you, I cannot comment on that aspect, giving you the options.

The ulcer needs to be evaluated. Of course, it could be due to an infection, but it is very difficult for me to give an opinion without looking at it.

|