Q. Why was the period has been very light after abortion ?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I am 26 years old. I had an abortion 6 months ago using the suction method. Since then, my period has been very light and lasts only a day. I had an abortion earlier too using the same method and did not experience anything as such. What could be the problem? What do you advise for this?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understand your concern.

The symptoms you described indicate that it is due to either estrogen deficiency or a condition called Asherman's syndrome (adhesion or fibrosis of the endometrium after dilation and curettage).

Though this is uncommon after an abortion by suction method, it is usually seen when abortions are done with metal instruments and done very vigorously. This results in adhesions in the inner uterine lining which result in less blood flow during the period.

The other possible reason is decreased estrogen production in your body. This could be either due to stress or mental anxiety.

Try a hysteroscopy to diagnose Asherman's syndrome. It will not be diagnosed with an ultrasound.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|