Q. What is the age limit for a women to get pregnant?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi

My wife is 34 years old, and two to three years ago a lady doctor mentioned that she had fewer eggs left (I think in one of the ovaries) after her examination. At present, my wife and I can not plan for a child due to some personal circumstances. So my wife is worried that after two to three years when we do decide to prepare for a child, she will be 37 years old and may have fewer eggs left.

Then she would not be able to conceive. This thought is giving her a lot of depression and sleepless nights. Could you please advise until what age generally a woman can conceive? Also, can she conceive even with fewer eggs?

#

A woman can get pregnant as long as she menstruates. But after 35 years, quality of eggs decreases, which might lead to difficulty to conceive might lead to abnormalities in the babies, etc. So it is advisable to complete family before 35 years. After 35 years, if eggs are low, one might require assisted fertility techniques like test-tube baby, etc., might need to take donor eggs to get pregnant. Your wife is 34 years with already low egg reserve. It is advisable to conceive as early as possible. All the rest of the things and difficulties in life can wait.

|