Q. Would hypothyroidism affect my pregnancy?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2022

I am a 30-year-old female. I am planning for pregnancy. Recently, a thyroid profile shows the TSH at 1.95 mIU/L, T4 at 13.9 mcg/dL, and T3 at 113 ng/dL. I am on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Folic acid. Please advice.

#

I just read your query, and from what you have mentioned, you have hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid disease). From the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have mentioned, hypothyroidism seems to be well controlled. I suggest that you continue with the same dose of Levothyroxine tablet until you conceive, and once you are pregnant, you can repeat the same tests, and we can manage your dose accordingly.

Wish you good luck and hope you found my advice beneficial.

Thank you doctor,

I have a doubt here. My T4 level is a bit high. Is that fine? Will this thyroid condition affect my pregnancy?

#

• As long as your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is within the normal range, the T4 level is not taken into consideration as it is a variable component and it keeps changing throughout the day.
  • Also, we need this level of TSH for a normal pregnancy if you get pregnant hopefully. That is exactly why I asked you to repeat your thyroid function tests immediately after you got pregnant to avoid any complications. As long as your TSH is within the normal range nothing wrong will happen. So, do not worry.
  • There are many women with such thyroid conditions getting pregnant and having normal babies as long as they are on treatment and proper followup.

Hope I have answered your concerns. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|