Q. I am a 20-year-old suffering from premature ejaculation for the past six months. What to do?

Dr. Senduran N
Published on Nov 14, 2019

I am a 20-year-old male. I am having premature ejaculation problems. It has started sometime back and it may sound weird. I went from barely feeling anything and lasting an hour for before three years, to being almost hypersensitive and lasting 10 seconds tops for the past six to eight months. This all happened and I have PE since then. Nothing changes it, except for when I drink. If I get drunk, I go back to the not feeling anything stage. I have resorted to that a few times to save myself from embarrassment, but nothing psychically has changed for me, and I am at a loss of what to do? Please help.

Dr. Senduran N

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Brief answer:

1)Behavioral approaches during sexual activity.

2)Sexual counseling.

3)Avoiding anxiety and stress factors.

4)Antidepressants (serotonin group drugs).

Detailed Answer:

If I am your physician, I would suggest you with behavioral approaches during sexual activity like stop-start method, stop-squeeze techniques, antidepressants(serotonin group drugs like Dapoxetine, Paroxetine) which needs to be taken for minimum of two weeks for assessing the drug's efficacy, and also tricyclic antidepressant (Clomipramine) three to six hours befor sexual activity. I would also suggest you visit a psychiatrist for sexual counseling who is expertise in assessing the psychosocial factors causing problems in your sexual life, and also for considering the above prescription. Also, limit alcoholic beverages, which by itself cause premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.

What Is Premature Ejaculation?

Article Overview: A huge percentage of young men ejaculate within a few seconds or with minimal strokes during sexual intercourse. It is very stressful for both partners when this happens, and it can even lead to marital disharmony and discord. This is the most common male sexual problem. Fortunately, it can be overcome and even treated. Read Article

Dr. Poosha Darbha
Sexologist

Premature ejaculation (rapid climax within seconds) is common. It is natural in people with an overly sensitive penis, but it is distressing and disappointing for the couple. To overcome the problem naturally, one needs to understand how exactly it happens and learn how to stop it. It is somewhat li...  Read Article

Will the usage of antidepressant medicines have any adverse effect on sex life?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 19 years. I am on antidepressant tablets like Paroxetine prolonged-release, Clonazepam, Mirtazapine, and Dosulepin. I have a problem with erection and do not have a sex drive. Will these medicines have any adverse effects on my sex life? What should I do?  Read Full »

I have premature ejaculation. How to stop it from happening?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having premature ejaculation. How can I stop it from happening? It is killing my sex life.  Read Full »