Q. I am experiencing heart flutters and skipped beats. Why?

I am a 24 year old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 160 lbs. I have been experiencing weird heart flutters and skipped beats. It mostly happens when I am at the gym lifting weight, and taking a deep breath in while doing so. I have always exercised without experiencing such feelings. It is very annoying, and I am quite concerned. Hope you can help.

#

• Usually, at this young age, it is idiopathic, that is, without any known cause. It can be due to smoking, stimulant drugs, excessive alcohol, thyroid problems, structural heart disease, etc.
  • At this moment, we need to confirm the diagnosis, for which you will need an electrocardiogram. You can get it done from a local doctor, especially, when you are symptomatic. If the ECG could not pick it up, then you will need 24-hour Holter monitoring. You will also need thyroid test.
  • After confirming the diagnosis, we will suggest beta blockers. You avoid smoking, alcohol, and drugs if any. Overall, it is not a serious issue, but it needs to be evaluated.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|