Q. I have been getting period cramps but have not got periods. What can it be?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 20 year old female. My period is delayed and I am sexually active. I have not had unprotected sex. The problem is 2 years back I was diagnosed with fibroadenoma . No biopsy was done but doctor told it was probably that. Now when my period got delayed, I started having period cramp like pain. I get lots of pain in the right pelvic region. When this started, I noticed I got pain in same place in my breast when I was diagnosed with fibroadenoma and now the pain is also in the other breast and I have been getting abdominal pain as well. The breast pain is only felt when I touch the area. I was also diagnosed with ovarian cyst once. Currently I am taking Sodium valproate for depression. Please help.

#

• Fibroadenoma is a benign breast tumor but it is hormone dependent.
  • The pain in abdomen you described seems like a premenstrual pain. At times our periods can get delayed due to hormonal imbalance.
  • Stress, change in environment, etc., can change or trigger a hormonal imbalance. So if you are sure that you are not pregnant, it is possible that hormonal disturbance has caused the delay in your period.
  • I suggest you can wait for a week or 10 days for your period. If still they do not start it would be a good idea to see your obstetrician and gynecologist for proper evaluation and treatment.
  • Blindly giving you progesterone tablets to start your periods may not be a very good idea as it may affect the fibroadenoma. Hence evaluation is necessary.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

It has been more than 10 days and I have often had pain before my periods. But, this is not anything like that I have felt or had before. And the pain in my inguinal region, to explain better, feels like I have been punched. I forgot to mention I have been getting pin prick like stabbing pain at random moments in the left chest region.

#

• Pain as if punched is more serious than cramps pain.
  • It could be due to appendicitis or even torsion or bleeding from ovarian cyst. Also pin prick pain of chest could be related to that.
  • Please visit a doctor as soon as possible for examination and get an ultrasound scan done to diagnose your condition.
  • Waiting for it to get better or taking over the counter pain killers is not a good idea in your case.

|