Q. How to fix procrastination?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I am 33 years old. I am a typical introvert person. My problem is I procrastinate a lot, sometimes because of social or workplace anxiety but sometimes just for nothing. I have read many online blogs and watched motivational videos about it. I can understand my problem and know what to do but when I think of taking the step I feel pressure inside that I cannot overcome and again I procrastinate. Maybe I need to awaken my willpower but do not know how. I know there are many others like me and maybe it is normal for us. But I really want to change myself. What should I do?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Procrastination is a common trait present in almost all humans. You are insightful about your problem and its commendable that you are trying to address it and change yourself. Many people do not even recognize procrastination as a problem. As you know, people who are able to avoid procrastination are more productive.

What sort of career you are in? How much is procrastination affecting your daily life? Is procrastination affecting both your personal and professional life?

Sometimes when there are more routine and strict deadlines in office, we tend to perform better and avoid procrastination. I will suggest you write down and make a list of things you could have achieved in your life if procrastination was not an issue. Be objective and just make small points. It should serve as a reminder and motivate you further to avoid procrastinating further.

Break all work or goals into small multiple tasks. Do not aim too big, even if you take just a few steps, your mind will get a sense of achievement and you can gradually build up the momentum. Do not worry if you have bad days when you are not able to achieve much. Humans cannot be perfect all the time.

Make sure your general lifestyle is good. Eat healthily, sleep well and exercise regularly. You mention some anxiety, so try progressive muscle relaxation exercise and deep breathing exercises. Discuss with a trusted family member, spouse, or friend about your struggles and plan to overcome them. They can help you stay motivated.

If there are any other problems like low mood, excessive anxiety you can consult your family doctor locally. You are welcome to contact us again if further advice is needed.

|